Turiec nobility

The aim of this cycle route is to discover the seats of aristocratic families of the Turiec basin. It is important to mention that we are interested mainly in mansions and manor houses, since the medieval castles have already been discussed in Turiec castle route. The period from 16th to 18th centuries is known as the era of mansions and manor houses, their poorer equivalents. These spectacular family residences were built in the Renaissance, Baroque or Classical styles. As a result of the fact that the history of the aristocratic families of the Turiec region is very old, let us name some important facts regarding its origins and further development.

It is assumed that after the disintegration of the Great Moravian Empire the local squires ruled over the Turiec region. From their strongholds and hill-forts controlled the area until it became part of the Hungarian Empire in 1092-1094. During the fights with the army of King Ladislav I (1077-1095) they either died or surrendered to the new ruler. The first written mention of the nobleman from Turiec is from 1224 and deals with the property disputes solved by the Hungarian King Ondrej II (1205-1235). New aristocratic families which received their properties in Turiec thanks to donations of the king came in conflict with the independent land owners. In 1255 it was King Belo IV (1235-1270) who resolved the situation during his summer stay at the Turiec castle (nowadays Zniev castle). In addition to that, he decided that the number of the aristocratic families in the region must be 40. However, the disputes over the properties of aristocracy continued during the whole medieval period. In 1339 Turiec became an independent county within the Hungarian Empire. The district administrators, however, with some exceptions, were not of a Turiec origin. Local squires were allowed to participate and express their opinion in county assembles (congregations). From the 30´s of the 14th century these reunions were organized once a year in Martin or in the village of Mošovce. During the gatherings statutory and legal issues were discussed and four representatives of the Turiec nobility were also elected. Following the defeat of the Hungarian army by Turks at the Battle of Moháč (1526) and dead of the Turiec squires Mikuláš Folkušovský, Ladislav Jesenský and Ján Trnovský on the battlefield, the family of Révay from the Sriem County (nowadays the eastern part of Croatia and the western part of Serbia) came to the Turiec region. In the 16th century following the Turk occupation of Southern Hungary another powerful aristocratic family of Nári came to the Turiec basin. In the middle of the 18th century there were approximately 789 noble families that lived in the region and presented nearly 10% of Turiec population. Among the typical curial (i.e.squire) villages with the prevalence of inhabitants of squire origin were Dolné and Horné Vrútky, Kevice, Lehôtka, Lipovec, Malý a Veľký Čepčín, Markovice, Paraštiná, Tomčany and Záborie. Many of the nobles, however, could be hardly distinguished from their villains as far as their property, liberties and residences were concerned.

Considering locations of the most attractive Turiec sights, it is necessary to divide our cycle route in two parts. The first one is parallel to the longest cycle path - the Turiec main cycle route with its continuation from Vrútky to Martin, the second, shorter one, passes along manor houses and mansions situated southwards to Martin in the Lower Turiec.

The first part of our route starts in Turčianske Teplice. The Tourist Information Centre can be found in the building of the Municipal Office. It is opportune to visit two manor houses (The Renaissance Platy mansion and Tarnóci mansion in the Rococo-classical style) located in the part of Diviaky, formerly an independent village.

The Renaissance (Platy) mansion was built in the middle of the 17th century under the impulse of František Platy who died leaving no heirs. The mansion was inherited by his brother Abrahám Platy. At the end of the 18th century it came under the ownership of the family of Pongráci coming from St. Mikuláš. For a certain period it was also owned by the family of Baťáni. It has a U-shaped ground plan with two corner bastions. The last owner of the mansion was count Pongrác. The reconstruction of the structure took place in 1952-1958. Nowadays it is one of the seats of Matica slovenská.

The family of Platy - From the middle of the 16th century they had properties not only in the village of Diviaky, but also in the villages of Horný and Dolný Kalník. Platy regularly sent cavalrymen in order to join military units of the Turiec County which fight against the Turks. In 1707 the representatives of the Turiec County rebelled against František II Rákoci during the assembly of Onód (Onódsky snem). Consequently, the Turiec County was denounced for some period and the leading figures of the Turiec nobility Krištof Okoličány from the village of Slovenské Pravno together with Melchior Rakovský from the village of Rakovo were executed. Alexander Platy was one of the imprisoned in the town of Eger as well. As far as the literary active representative of the family is concerned, the religious writer, poet and official Matej Platy (1725-1801) must be mentioned. In 1776 he became the Turiec archdeacon. In addition to that, he was a professor at the universities in Trnava, Budín and Gyor.

The mansion in the Baroque-Classicist style from 1776 was built in a rectangular, three winged disposition. In the vicinity of mansion is situated the park from the 18th century. Nowadays it is a private property.

The family of Tarnoci, also called Tharnóczy or Trnovskí

The origin of the family is connected with Maladyn Ruten /probably of Russian origin/. In 1256 it was King Belo IV who gave him the village of Trnovo as a result of his loyalty to king at the battle against Turks near the River Slaná and the loan of 30 golden hrivna (ancient Hungarian currency). Later on, the family Tarnoci received possessions in the villages of Jazernica, Markovice and even in the Nitra County. It was exactly the family branch from this County who started to use the surname Trnovský and later even its Hungarian form. Ján Trnovský, a butler of King Ľudovít II(1506-1526) died at the Battle of Mohacs (1526). Among the significant members of the family was the Jesuit, university professor and philosopher Štefan Tarnóci. He was the writer of religious and philosophic literature. Melchior Tarnóci (1704-1781) was the author of the elegies and odes and moralistic legal literature. The vice-administrators of the County were Valentín Trnovský (1495-1498) and Žigmund Trnovský (1516-1517) from the village of Markovice, Mikuláš Trnovský (1618) and Juraj Tarnóci (1634-1636).

Following the red-marked Turiec main cycle route reach the town section of Turčiansky Michal. Once it was an independent village which adopted the name of the Roman Catholic church of St. Michal. The church was built in the second half of the 13th century with the help of the Premonstratesians from Kláštor pod Znievom. From the Turčiansky Michal village came the prominent aristocratic family of Turóci, to which belonged not only the Turiec squire Mikuláš Turóci, but also a significant medieval historian Ján z Turca(1435-1498) /Johaness de Thurocz/, the author of the Hungarian Chronicle.

From Turčiansky Michal follow the red sign to the village of Mošovce, where at the edge of the English park stands one of the most beautiful manor houses in the Turiec region. In 1527 the family of Révai / see the description of the Sklabiňa castle/ received the village of Mošovce together with half of the Sklabiňa castle from King Ferdinand I Habsburg. The grave of the last member of the Revai family coming from Mošovce is located in the woods above the village. He denied being buried in the family tomb. The originally burgess family of Institoris Mošovský, to which belonged an important poet, priest, theologian and philosopher Michal Institoris Mošovský (1635-1705), was ennobled in 1600.

The manor house in Mošovce is the Rococo-Classicist building from the second half of the 18th century. It was count Jozef Révai who had it constructed after fire destroyed the former manor house of the Révai family in 1760. A well-preserved Rococo-Classicist oven can be found inside this structure of a block character and a nine meter deep well is located in its basement. The manor house stands at the edge of the extensive English park full of mainly domestic wood-pulps. As far as the examples of foreign flora are concerned, ginkgo biloba and sweet chestnut must be mentioned. The Neo-Gothic chapel having the function of crypt and a garden pavilion from 1800 can also be admired in the park.

The following stop on the route is the village of Blatnica above which stands the Blatnica castle /see Turiec castle route/. The village is also famous as the locality where the tomb of a local magnate from the 8th – 9th centuries was found. It was full of precious finds, including an imported two-edged sword with Franco – Carolingian figural and plant design on the handle. There are two aristocratic residences constructed close to each other in the village – Prónay Baroque mansion rebuilt in the 18th century with the attached circular portico and on the opposite side standing the late Baroque manor house dated from the second half of the 18th century. The Prónay mansion nowadays houses the Museum of Karol Plicka /see The personalities that brought fame to the Turiec region/.

The Prónai family - also Prónay de Tóth Próna. They had the seat in Blatnica. during the uprising of Francis II. Rákoci, they provided two cavalrymen to join the army of the Turiec County. From this family came well-known patrons of science. One of them was Gabriel E.g. Gabriel Prónai (1748 – 1811), the Tekov and Gemer County administrator who supported the issuing of historical and geographical works by Ladislav Bartolomeides. The family of Prónai also supported Matej Bel. Dezider Prónai (1848-1940) was a member of the Hungary Diet.

We take the red- marked Turiec main cycle route to the village of Folkušová, with which the family of Folkušovský is connected. The oldest family member is Komes Folkuš, who in 1323 received the part of present Folkušová from the District administrator Donč. In those times it was situated in the neighbourhood of the village of Sebeslavce which nowadays does not exist. The Roman Catholic church of St. Ondrej is the only evidence that reminds us of its existence. Its Romanesque foundations are probably from the second pol. 12. half of the 12th century. In the course of the following centuries the Gothic features were added. The ruins of it were re-built by the Révai family in the Classic style in 1837. The members of the Folkušovci family were ennobled by Žigmund Luxemburský (1368 - 1437) in 1389. Anton from Folkušová became in1497 vicekastelánom Ostrihomského hradu. 1497 the vice-castellan of the Esztergom castle (Ostrihomský hrad).Later on, the Durdík and Tomka families acquired the properties in the villages. The family of Tomka is recalled in the village by Tomka´s mausoleum from 1902 built in the late-Romanesque style. The originally Renaissance manor house from the 17th century and rebuilt in the 18th century is located in the village as well.

The following destination is the village of Necpaly, where we can admire four manor houses. Unfortunately, none of them is open to the public for the moment. The medieval history of the village is connected to the family of Necpalskovci. They received Necpaly in 1287as a result of their faithful military service for King Ladislaus IV. For a certain period they also owned the Blatnica castle and some estates not only in the Turiec region. Ladislav from Necpaly was in1426 – 1439 the captain of the castles in Šášov, Dobrá Niva, Trenčin and Skalica. The family of Necpalskovci died without male heirs in the 15th century. They were replaced by the family of Justovci, known as the patrons of education, science and art of the Turiec region. They had to guard their property against expansion of the Révai family. The history of the village is also linked to the family of Pongrác.

Four manor houses in Necpaly - the oldest Just´s manor house mostly in the Renaissance style was built at the end of the 15th.century in the eastern part of the village. Its core consists of the medieval Gothic stone mansion, the only one of its kind preserved in the Turiec region. The younger Just´s Renaissance manor house from 1673 is characterized by two corner towers on the south facade. The alcove with the Renaissance Label attic is located above the entrance. In the 17th century both of Just´s manor houses could pride themselves on having firearms. Lower manor house owned by the families of Just, Révay and Pongrác is characterized by the typical bay on the front facade. It is the only one of four of Necpaly manor houses, which is not in ruins since it has been recently under the reconstruction. It represents the Baroque-Classicist style. It is loccated in the park from the second half of the 19th century. The fourth manor house (blue one), built in the Baroque - Classicist style as well, is situated in the south-western part of the square. The main facade, oriented towards the square, is dominated by the balcony with the door lined with stucco festoons. Some estates of Just family received and even enlarged the family of Franklin in the 19th century. They surname derived from the name of the famous American statesman.

The Justovci family - also Justh / Jušt. The family came into the Turiec basin in 1460, when Blažej from Necpaly pledged the castle and lordship to Andrej Just from Viglas. The Just family arrived there from Czech Kusava. In 1479 the castle estate was replaced by Necpaly and other villages in the Turiec region. The Latin school, the then most important one in the region, was founded in the 16th century by Justovci the Just family. In the 16th - 17th. centuries they regularly sent cavalrymen to join the Turiec military units in the fight against Turks. In the 17th century it was František Just to become several times their captain. Mikuláš Just, one of the friends of Palatine Juraj Turzo wrote him letters from Necpaly in1606 – 1613. Juraj Just was one of the biggest Turiec supporters of the Slovak literature in the 19th century. The family mausoleum is situated in the local cemetery.

The village of Bela - Dulice, originally consisting of two formerly separate municipalities, have merged in 1971.. These villages are connected with the families of Búľovskí, Gabrheľci, Dulickovci. Dulice were originally owned by Necpalskovci, which later resulted in property disputes. The ownership of Bela, being a part of the Blatnica castle estates, was changed according to changes of owners of the castle. There is the Rococo mansion from the 18th century situated in the village

Like the previous village Turčianske Jaseno - the next stop on the route – was also created by two originally separated curial villages - Upper and Lower Jaseno. Despite the fact that the squire families from both the villages used the epithet Jesenský they were two separate families with own coats of arms. What is more, both of them issued their own instruments of arms. The family of Jesenskovci from the Upper Jaseno repeatedly obtained the baronial title in the 18th and 19th centuries. The most important representatives of this family, including physician Ján Jessenius (1566 - 1621), are registered in the communal book called Witnesses of Jesenskovci ( Pamätnica Jesenskovcov) / see Personalities that brought fame to the Turiec region/ The house no.41 built in the 18th century in Turčianske Jaseno is the only surviving storey wooden house in Turiec.

The villages of Dolné Jaseno, Horný and Dolný Kalník, Tomčany,Ivanka (part of Dražkovce) and Záborie originally formed an area called Jordan. In 1249- 1255 King Belo IV(1235 – 1270) gave a number of lands from Jordan to sons of jobagions (members of lower nobility, who generally obtained their titles for military merits). Consequently, he started the tradition of noble families from these villages. Apart from the already mentioned Jesenský family from Dolné Jaseno, it was also the Tomčinsky family and the separate branch of the Tomkovci family and the family of Zaborsky (later divided into variety of branches) whose origins were connected with King Belo and his generosity. The family of Dražkovský (also Draskócsy) has an older traditon since its origin derives from Mikula and Dražko, who received today´s Dražkovce from King Bela IV as early asv r. in 1242. The members of this family were of a significant importance within the Country. From the 13th century some of them reached the higher military rank. They had the common ancestor with the members of the family of Dolinský (also Dolinay). With the exception of Tomčany our route passes through all of the above-mentioned villages.

Záborskí – derive their origin from Koch whom in 1263 together with Košút and Vojslav King Belo IV confirmed the older (not preserved) donation to Záborie. Later on, eight primary and many other family branches emerged. They were landed gentry, military dignitaries and officials in all the Counties they lived. Among the significant family members a ministerial secretary and representative of the Hungary government Alojz Záborský († 1862) and a poet, novelist, playwright and priest Jonáš Záborský (1812-1876) must be mentioned. He is the author of the satirical prose Panslavistický priest, humoresque Two days in Chujava( Dva dni v Chujave) or historical work History of the Kingdom of Hungary since the beginning of the times of Sigismund. We continue our ride to the village of Sklabiňa whose existence dates back to the 8th – 9. – 9th centuries. It can be proved by its name derived from the Slavic word for the rock as well as by the archaeological findings. Sklabiňa along with Martin, Mošovce, Dolná Štubňa and tolls collected in these settlements and the villages of Priekopa, Kľačany, Turany, Turčianska Štiavnička, Diakovo and Šútovo , belonged into estate of the Sklabinský castle /see Turiec castles route). It was Peter Révai 1610 – 1612 and his wife Anna Forgáčová from Gymeš who in 1610-1612 Ten začiatkom 20.had the manor house in the Renaissance style built in the vicinity of the Sklabiňa castle. As early as at the beginning of the 20th century the manor house, however, functioned only as the museum of the Révai family. V r. During the Slovak National Uprising in 1944 it was burned down by the fascists. Sklabinský Podzámok, another village we pass along during our route, developed from the castle property only in the New Age.

The village of Turčianska Štiavnička, one of the estates of the Sklabinský castle, can pride itself on having two monuments reminding us of the Révay family.The first one is a manor house with an extensive park, the second one is The Révay Mausoleum located at the municipal cemetery.

The Révay manor house - the Renaissance mansion from the 16th century, rebuilt in the Baroque-Classicist style at the end of the 18th century, nowadays a ruin. The first mention of its existence is from1637.The authentic cross vaults are partly preserved in the rooms. The eastern wing retained the original arcade. The manor house is situated on the edge of an extensive English park from the first half of the 19th century. The A winter garden, lakes and rare plants can be admired inside the park. It was the landscape architect G.Křivanek who in 1860- 1885 had merits on beautifying and evaluating of this landscape.The Révay mausoleum was built in the nearby cemetery probably in the early 20th century in the late-Gothic style with the features of eclecticism. There are two coats of the families of Révay and Abaffay above the main entrance.

The Révay family - also Reva / Rewa / Révay. They came from the County of Sriemsko (present Croatia and north-eastern Serbia). The founder of the family is supposed to be Jakub, who lived approximately in 1200. In 1527 František I Révay († 1553) received the half of the Sklabiňa castle, the second half obtained in1540. 1540. V r. In 1545 it was the family branch living in the village of Trebostovo that separated from the family. V r.In 1560 the Revays also received the Blatnica castle and after one year were given the hereditary title of County administrators. The sons of František - František II, Michal, Vavrinec and Ján II were in 1556 promoted to barons. In 1723 was a poet, historian, soldier and officer Peter Révay promoted by King Charles VI. (1685 – 1740) to count. He is buried in St.Martin church in Martin. This family branch died out but later in the year 1916 were Simon and Ladislav Révay promoted to county status. The members of the family lived in Turcianska Štiavnička until 1945. Their possessions were expropriated by Communist authorities. They received the financial compensation only after their complained to the European Court of Human Rights in 2006.

Unfortunately, the village of Sučany currently offers no evidence of Turiec nobility in spite of the fact that in the Middle Ages the Sučany castle stood above the village (precisely above today´s Podhradie). In the 15th century it was replaced by smaller castle above Sučany. Since 1535 sídlo rod Ňáriovcov /tiež Nyáry/, druhých najbohatších novovekých šľachticov v Turci. Okrem Sučian im patrilo aj Konské, Nolčovo, Krpeľany, Šútovo a Kraľovany. Vymreli v r.1535 the family of Ňáriovci (also Nyáry), the second richest noblemen in Turiec, lived here. Apart from the village of Sučany they also possessed the villages of Konské, Nolčovo, Krpeľany, Šútovo and Kraľovany. They died out in 1885. In the 30´s of the 19th century their last manor house functioned as a hospital. However, it was not preserved to these days. Thanks to the Ňáry family some of their property in Sučany, Konské and Krpeľany were given to the family of Husárovci. It was the reward for the fact that in 1562 Štefan Husár liberated Vavrinec Ňáry from the Turkish captivity.

As early as in the 10th century the Slavic hill-forts stood on the rock above Sučany and above Turčianske Kľačany (the village through which continues our cycle route). These fortified strongholds, seats of local nobles, persisted until the integration of Turiec into the Kingdom of Hungary.The name of the village of Kľačany is derived from the Slavic word for mare, which urges that the settlement was intended for breeding horses. The first written mention of Turčianske Kľačany and the neighbouring village of Lipovec is from 1374 and mentioned the heritable property, which proved that these old royal villages finished their settlement under the German law. While in Kľačany the hereditary title of portreeve property was preserved until the 15th century, in curial settlement of Lipovec it disappeared as early as in the 14th century (bought by local squires). The Lipovec squires had long property disputes with the squires of Vrútky. It happened in 1431, as well when the surname Lamoš of Lipovec squire Peter was for the first time mentioned in writing.

Fromthe town of Vrútky, where the red-marked Turiec main cycle route starts, came the Ruttkai squire family. Despite the fact that at the end of the 17th century there were four squire manor houses situated in the town, nowadays we can admire only one in the vicinity of the road number I/18.

The manor house in Vrútky- The Baroque-Classicist building from the mid-18th century with attic roof was later rebuilt. Until 1926 functioned as town hall, nowadays is used for commercial purposes.

The family of Ruttkai – (also Ruttkay, Vrútocký). In 1285 there are already known fifteen members of the family. In the 14th. century four family branches were already established and in the 15th century many other branches appeared. As a result of the mutual sharing and inheritance of property the originally one village was split in the second half of the 14th century to Horné a Dolné Vrútky. In 1512 Ján from Vrútky hold the position of officer of Turiec County. The notary and vice-administrator of the Turiec County Ján Ruttkai - Matušovič in 1609 won for his family special properties-armáles. In 1650-1660 Andrej Ruttkai was in 1650 – 1660 the secretary of the Hungarian office. In 1708 was his son, a vice-administrator of the Trenčín County and counsellor of the Hungarian Royal Chamber in Bratislava Štefan Ruttkai promoted by King Jozef I. (1678 to 1711) to baron. The family branch died out by his son Jozef.

Continue towards the town of Martin along the yellow-marked cycle route no. 8412. 8412. The route pass through the formerly independent village of Záturčie (nowadays part of Martin), where the reconstructed manor house Záturčie is situated. The Révai family had their merits on the construction of the structure. The history of Záturčie is associated mainly with the family of Záturecký.

The manor house in Záturčie developed from the Lutheran church, which was built in 1640 by František Révai (†1657) known by his library with more than 300 fascicles located in the Sklabina castle. The church was rebuilt to manor house only in the 19th century. Nowadays a restaurant and accommodation facilities are located there.

The family of Zátureckí -derived their origin (together with the family of David) from the fisherman Uzda. Belo IV gave the village of Záturčie to his sons in v r. 1255. As far as the members of the family are concerned Ján Záturecký, a vice-administrator of the Turiec County in 1635, the hussar general Ladislav Zátureckého († 1810), who received the decoration of Maria Theresa or the Turiec folklore collector Adolf Peter Záturecký (1837-1904) must be mentioned.

The first part of the route will finish at the Martin County House ( Župný dom). This seat of the Turiec County was built in the Renaissance style, later rebuilt in the Baroque style. The building approximately from the end of the 17th century, completed in 1772, was supposed to function not only as the House of Assembly proceedings, as well as the seat of the County Court, County Archives, and County Treasury. In addition to that, it was built in order to represent the County as well as investigate and arrest convicted. During the tumultuous events of Onód Assembly (1707) the Turiec County representatives led by Krištof Okoličáni of Slovenské Pravno and Melchior Rakovský of Rakovo rebelled against Count František II Rákoczy. Both of them were for their bravery executed, however, The Turiec County received special privileges. The meeting table of the Turiec County could be covered - as a sign of respect to martyrs of Onod- by red drapery, in contrast to the green one used in other Counties. Nowadays the Turiec gallery /see Personalities that brought fame to the Turiec region) is located in the building.

The second part of the cycle-route follows the blue-marked Zniev cycle route (Znievska cykocesta) no.2415 in the direction of the village of Košťany nad Turcom. r. Since 1478 Košťany were one of the estates of the Just family from Necpaly.The Rococo -Classict manor house built in the second half of the 18th centurywith rich stucco on the facade is situated here. It is a one-floor building with L-shaped layout with the projection of wall on the facade turned to the street. It was built on the old foundations. We continue towards the village of Turčiansky Peter where the history of the Turiec nobility recalls the originally Renaissance manor house built at the end of the 16th a 17.and the beginning of the 17th centuries and went under reconstruction in the late 19th century. It is located in a park in the vicinity of the Roman Catholic Gothic church of St.Peter. The squire family of David is connected to the village.

The Dávid family- they have a common ancestor with the family of Zátureckí, a fisherman Uzda. During the division of properties in 1332 the Dávid family got Dolné Záturčie and the Záthureckí family Horné Záturčie. The first ancestor of the growing family was David living in the 14th century. In 1550 Uriel David from St. Peter together with one cavalryman joined the Turiec army in order to fight the Turks. In 1611 two cavalrymen were sent by the David family and in 1630 they managed to send even three cavalrymen 1611 including Ladislav David. The prominent representatives of the family were a canon of the town of Nitra and Bishop Paul David († 1632), royal councillor Karol David (the 18th century) and officer of the Hungarian Court Anton David (the 18th century). The members David family were promoted by R. Maria Theresa to baron in 1772. Among the supporters of the publication of literature in Slovakia in the 19th century was also Ján Dávid.

The Renaissance mansion of the Révay family from the 17th century is situated in the village of Trebostovo. The Trebostovo branch of the Révay family managed to receive the title of count. The mausoleum from the early 20th century placed at the local cemetery recalls the Revay family as well.

The Renaissance manor house – three wings building with corner towers from the 17th century was originally surrounded by a moat. It went under reconstruction after 1945. A drawbridge led to the entrance with the Renaissance stone portal.

The Trebostovo Révay family branch split from the main family branch in1545. 1545. Its founder is supposed to be Štefan, the brother of František I Revay.They were among the most important contributors of soldiers to the Turiec army fighting against the Turks in the 17th – 18.– 18th centuries. In 1635 the members of the Trebostovo Revay family were promoted to barons and in 1804 (Mikuláš) - 1805 (František and Alojz) received the title of count. Later on this family branch died out. A lot of members of the family were military, religious and provincial dignitaries.

Trnovo is the village of origin of the family of Trnovský (also Tarnóci / Tharnóczy) / for more info see the Baroque-Classicist manor house in Diviaky. / In the centre of the village is situated the Classicist manor house from the 19th century. The important Turiec squire coming from this village was Andrej Cemanka (1672 - 1759), who is the author of the document the history of the Turiec County. It was included in the work of Matej Bel : Geographical and historical knowledge of the New Hungary (Zemepisno-historické vedomosti o Novom Uhorsku). In Valča, which is another village we pass through during our ride, we can admire some preserved houses for oil makers. Valča did not develop into curial village because in the 14th. century became one of the properties of Kláštor pod Znievom. In 1622 Ján Ondrejovič from Valča was promoted to squire.1622 Ján Ondrejovič z Valče. The history of the nobility recalls the Classicist aristocratic mansion from the first half of the 19th century.

After the visit of Valča we leave the blue-marked cycle route and continue in an easterly direction to the village of Benice, where the original Renaissance and later in the Classicist style rebuilt Pivko manor house is located. Nowadays it serves to the accommodation and catering purposes. The history of Benice is linked to the family of Benickovci. It is so even in the case of the neighbouring village of Príbovce, where we join the green-marked cycle route no. 5427. Continue in a southerly direction. Before leaving Príbovce it is opportune to visit the Classicist manor house from the 19th century (also Szimónyi mansion). The existence of the Gothic - Renaissance manor house of the Benickovci family built on the banks of the Blatnica stream is evidenced only by a small mound covering the ruins of the manor house and by a circular bastion built in the Renaissance style, nowadays in poor conditions.

The Benický family - the founder of the family is supposed to be Benedict / also Bene /, from which derives the name of the family and village as well /mentioned for the first time in 1269 under the name of "Terra Bene", later also "Benych" or "Benicz" /. In the 15th century they extended their possessions to other villages and it was done by donations, lien and by marriages (part of Rakovo, Príbovce and later Folkušová and Bystrička). In 1413 King Sigismund promoted Martin of Benice, who fought against the Turks, to true aristocrat and gave him a new donation to Benice. Among the prominent personalities was Benický Miluláš (the 16th century), the vice-County administrator, the castellan of the Zniev castle and a major fighter against the Turks. His son František Benický extended family possessions to the Zvolen County. V 16. In the 16th – 18.-18th centuries there were many vice-County administrators coming from this family. One of them, Martin Benický, was in the 16th century a vice-Palatine of the Hungarian Kingdom. From the Zvolen County family branch came a poet and military officer Peter Benický (app.1606-1664). It was Alexander Benický who on 7th November 1812 transformed the manor house in Benice to the tobacco factory, the second of its kind in the territory of present Slovakia.

Next stop on our green-marked cycle route is the village of Rakovo. Apart from the above mentioned family of Benickovci, the history of the village is connected to the family of Rakovský. The Mausoleums of both families are situated at the local cemetery- the Neo-Romanesque mausoleum of the Benickovce family from 1874, rebuilt in the 20th century to the house of mourning and the Neo-Gothic mausoleum of Rakovskovci from 1906 which is currently under the reconstruction. The route passes along the Baroque manor house of Benickovci from 1763, currently under the reconstruction.In the first half of the 14th century a village of Lehôtka / south of the village of Rakovo / was created just on the property of the squire family of Rakovski. The family of Lehotsky derived its name from the small settlement of Lehôtka. As far as the significant family members are concerned Martin Lehotsky († 1712), the imperial army general who was promoted to baron should be mentioned. He died without heirs. The restored manor house from the end of the 17th – 18.and beginning of the 18th centuries was preserved to these days.

The family of Rakovský – in 1244 it was Černek who received the village of Rakovo from King Bela IV. His family branch died out in male line in 1453 by Mikuláš from Rakovo. The family of Benickovci as well as Matej from Dolné Jaseno bought the properties of the Rakovskovci family. Matej´s wife was the members of the squire family from Rakovo. This family branch began to use the nickname Rakovský /“de Rako”/. Among the prominent representatives of the family was Juraj Rakovský († 1564), the captain of the Sklabiňa castle, repeatedly a vice-administrator of the Turiec County and since 1558 a royal valet vice-Palatine of the Hungarian Kingdom. He extended the family properties to many villages in the Turiec and Liptov regions. In the 16th century. three humanistic poets - brothers Martin, Matej and Mikuláš Rakovskí also represented the family. Rakovský Melchior (1670 - 1707), the notary of the Turiec County, vice-administrator of the Orava County and one of two representatives of Turiec at Onód Assembly in 1707, who were killed for their rebellion against the policy of Count František II. Rákociho. Rákóczi. In 1812 Lieutenant General Martin Rakovský (1754-1828) of the Liptov family branch gained the title of baron. A Roman Catholic priest and dean John Rakovský (* 1821 -?) was the author of the work Strieborné druhotiny, where he assessed work of several Slovak priests.

We continue our ride to the former curial village of Valentová, linked with the family of Zemanovci. In 1580 the family branch of Paľo was separated. The following village is Laskár, which at the end of the 15th century became part of the estates of the Blatnica castle. Later on it became part of Révais ´assets of the Turiec region. Than we continue to the village of Socovce where we finish the second part of our cycle route Turiec nobility given the availability of rail connection / station in the village of Kláštor pod Znievom /. By far we have not completed all the places where the sights recalling the aristocratic history of Turiec are found. In addition to that, we didn´t introduce all important noble families of Turiec. Those who would like to know more should continue in a southerly direction to the villages of Blažovce, Jazernica, Abramová, Ivančiná, Laclavá and Slovenské Pravno, where other manor houses and mansions of the Turiec nobility are located.